Why have an outdoor pull up bar
A pull-up bar is the most convenient and ready-to-use bar for your pull-ups, which can be installed anywhere, especially outdoors or in the basement of your house. An outdoor pull-up bar will surely help you out to work on different muscles of your body and also make you get some Vitamin D when you are outdoors or maybe a cool breeze while you work out on some windy days.
In this article we are going to discuss all about outdoor pull-up bars, indoor pull-up bars or pull-ups and their benefits in general. A pull-up bar in your outdoor is so amazing to have as it will give you motivation to work out, do some stretches, your family or friends can exercise on it. It is pretty affordable equipment to buy and easy to install on your outdoors or any place because most of them have stability legs to get attached to almost anything. You could even make one at your home and hook it up to an object (Explained later).
Benefits of Pull-ups in your day to day Life
All the below-mentioned benefits and reasons to have an outdoor pull bar would surely encourage and motivate you to settle up one in your house as soon as possible.
- Easy and convenient – A pull up bar is easy and convenient to have outdoors as it requires almost no space, unlike other giant exercise equipment and is very comfortable to use.
- Can withstand your bodyweight – It can hold onto your body weight (approx. up to 90 kgs ) so you can do a lot of other things with the pull-up bars like stretching, hang onto it, perform abdominal exercises, etc.
- Tie a punching bag to it – You can even tie up a punching bag to it to do some punching practice and kickboxing onto it.
- Workout in open fresh air, sunshine – Working in fresh air is a whole different experience than inside a gym, get some vitamin D on Sunny days outside.
- Build immunity and strength at the same time – You will build up your immunity to resist all those cold flus. By exposing your body to open-air on some windy days and low-temperature climate (not extremely low more than 10 C) while working out and that too by building strength at the same time by working on your muscles.
- Perform exercises – Pull-ups are one of the most studied and performed to build upper body with so many variations to strengthen other muscle groups apart from your back.
- Increase strength – Pull-ups and pull up bar exercises are going to boost power in your body as it is a compound movement.
- Gain muscle outdoors – You will definitely gain some muscle while working on a pull-up bar and an overall increase in the size of your muscles.
- Perform other calisthenics moves – A pull-up bar can also be used to perform other calisthenic moves and add some gymnastic or cross-fit ropes to it.
- Work on your full upper body – Pull-ups can help you work out on your entire upper body with its variations, pull-ups can work onto your back, lats, trapezius, biceps, deltoids, abdominal muscles what else you need?
- Become a bar expert – There are many people like bar brothers who are good at working on pull up bars and have started a revolution by only working on pull up bars to develop their physiques, and they have a robust aesthetic appeal to their bodies They are even able to make a living out of it by providing training to others and opening a workout out place with bars only in outdoors.
- Inexpensive or even free of cost – The option of installing a pull-up bar station is an economical option or might not even cost you a penny if you make it of your own.
- Install and forget – It is one-time investment of your time and/or your money and requires no maintenance like other equipment, neither uses any energy, so it’s a win-win situation.
- Build a foundation and overall structure – You can build a foundation and overall structure in your physique with this bar, and you can even kickstart your exercise routine before going to a gym, or joining a sport.
- Easy to perform and can be achieved with your feet assistance or by help of an object , a partner/friend.
- Do different Variations – to hit different parts and heads of the muscles .
- Improve your posture – Performing pull-ups and stretches on it will help you improve your overall posture.
- Turn up your grip game – Working on the pull-up bar will increase your grip and forearms strength which will further help you in lifting more weights and controlled weight movement.
- Promote fat loss – Perform a full HIIT circuit with incorporating other easy to perform no equipment exercises and increase your cardiovascular capacity and promote fat loss.
- Enhance your mood – When you perform exercise outside, you get engaged with the environment, the air, sunshine and a sense of well being and mood is boosted.
Things to look before buying or installing an outdoor pull-up bar
If Now, after Reading the benefits above you are planning on setting up a pull-up bar outdoors, there are some things that you need to look at before buying a ready-to-use pull-up bar.
- Location – This is the most crucial factor to consider before buying a pull-up bar, You can set it up in your lawn, near your house Tree, To a wall outside,or in your basement, this will let you decide the type of pull up bar to buy(Explained later)
- The durability of the bar – The equipment must be durable enough So that it could absorb pressure and hold onto damage put on by utilizing it
- Check material and load resistance – The material should be rigid enough and should be mainly of Aluminium, steel, iron and should have a high load resistance.
- Anticorrosive material used – Your outdoor pull up might corrode or get rusted outside where it is exposed to oxygen and water and must be having an anticorrosive layer of paint on it.
- Attachment method – This is also a big concern while buying because the attachment method will determine its durability and must be of heavy-duty like a post made up of timber, White oak or maybe a metal post and for hooking the bar like a nut bolt or a combination of locking mechanism around an object.
- Check the length of the bar – The length should be wide enough to hit your lats as everyone is of different height a Wide bar length must be used.
- Multiple-use – It can also have different handles onto it to work on different muscles and heads of the muscle.
Types of pull-up bars for outdoor
These are the different types of pull-up bars out there from which you can choose depending on your budget and the goal you want to attain.
1. Wall-mounted pull-up bar – This is the most common type of pull-up bar and is manufactured in large quantities by companies. Consumers extensively use it, New coming wall pull-up bars are unique and versatile in their use and are an excellent option to set up in your outdoors.
2. The free-standing tower as a pull-up bar for the garden – These are the most convenient, just assemble them and put them in your lawn or backyard, and boom there you go. These also come with a dip bar installed onto them and are movable anywhere.
3. Calisthenics post-bar – A callisthenic bar is an advanced pull-up bar with many bars at different heights and sizes onto them, now this does not mean a beginner cannot perform on this. Instead, it is a better option as you can accomplish so many exercises and variations on this bar.
4. Gymnastic rings as pull-up bar – This is a gymnastic cross ring that can be hanged onto a bar or a hook. These all are the ultimate options if you are into athletics and gymnastics these help in activating more on other parts of your muscles and help you add stability and strength to your body.
Homemade outdoor pull up bar (DIY)
1. Clamped between two trees – For this option, you just need a durable bar of length more than that of the length between two trees. Then find a spot that is horizontal in length between the two now drill or cut the trees at that spot at both sides such that the end of the bar gets inside the tree hole on both sides and voila you got a pull-up bar outdoors. (make sure it got attached firmly and is not moving with your bodyweight or your hands)
2. The horizontal bar with two posts in the ground – For this, you need two posts made of timber, white oak, or any rigid wood material and then you need to dig two deep holes in your garden where you will insert both. The length between the two should be less than that of your bar, but wide enough so that you can perform wide-grip pull-ups. After inserting the poles put sand onto them so that they become stable and the soil strengthens them up, after that add your bar between the two posts with the help of nuts and screw or by drilling holes between them.
Best grip for pull-ups
These studies show the ECG muscle activity of different body parts during variations in pull-ups and the following graph depicts which variation of pull-up is best for which muscle group. Barehand pull-ups are best for deltoids and upper traps, while towel pull-ups were the best for lats muscle, a suspension device will increase your biceps activity and is a better option to develop biceps over the other two variations. (Pro tip add a suspension handle to your pull up bar)
Pull-up bar workout
1. For strength and full-body exercise
3 sets of each variation
- Wide grip pull-ups 12-15 reps
- Inverted grip pull-ups for biceps
- Leg raises for abdominals 10-12 reps
- Reverse facing inward grip pull-ups for deltoids 10-12 reps
2. HIIT fat loss and muscle building workout
Perform 3-4 rounds of the circuit
- medium grip pull-ups 12-15 reps
- Push-ups 20 reps
- Leg raises 10-12 reps
- wide grip pull-ups 10-12 reps
- free squats 12-15 reps